Does legal action need to be taken to determine the identity of the father of your child? Are you a father trying to confirm paternity of your child? The attorneys at The Báez Law Firm can help you find the answers you need, and find resolutions to any other paternity related issues you are experiencing. For instance, if the parents of a child are not married during pregnancy or after the birth of a child, a court will not recognize the father’s legal rights or responsibilities as a parent. A suit should be filed to establish a parent-child relationship between both parents. By establishing paternity, you may, among other things, seek a court order for child support, custody or visitation. As amicable, private agreements are few and far between, you need the best possible representation to ensure that you receive the support or visitation rights you deserve. Blood tests, testimony and evidence will need to be taken and examined. During this time, the team at The Báez Law Firm will fight for you and your rights.

Father-child relationship:

A suit to establish the paternity of a child is the most common type of parentage suit filed with the Court. Some of the most common ways a father-child relationship can be established are as follows:

  • Presumed paternity. If paternity is presumed, the man is deemed to be the father of the child. A man may be presumed to be the father of a child through a number of different ways. The most common occur when the child is born during the marriage, the parents marry within 300 days of the child’s birth, and when a man asserts his paternity by filing the necessary paperwork with the Texas Bureau of Vital Statistics. A presumption of paternity can be rebutted.
  • Acknowledged paternity. If a man executed a valid acknowledgement of paternity by filing with the Texas Bureau of Vital Statistics an acknowledgment of paternity, he has effectively acknowledged his paternity. The acknowledged father would then have all of the rights and duties of a parent. An acknowledgment of paternity can be rescinded.
  • Father by adoption. A man who has adopted a child becomes the father of that child.

Who can file a suit to adjudicate parentage?

A suit to adjudicate the parentage may be filed by a number of individuals and entities, including:

  • A child
  • The child’s mother
  • A man seeking to adjudicate paternity
  • The Attorney General’s office

Contact us:
If you have any questions regarding filing a suit to adjudicate the parentage call the attorneys at The Báez Law Firm. We can help you make the right decisions for you and your family. Contact our law firm today for more information! 210-979-9777